Wednesday, June 1, 2016

22 - Pablo's Coffee (6th and Washington), Denver


Coffee Shop:
Pablo's Coffee (6th and Washington location)
https://www.pabloscoffee.com
630 E 6th ave
Denver, CO 80203

Date Visited:
Monday, May 30, 2016
About 3:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Purchased:
12 oz Iced Almond Milk Latte: $3.65
(.50 cent charge for almond milk)

I wasn’t that impressed with Pablo’s.  I have pretty high standard’s when I visit a place advertising themselves as a craft coffee place now, so maybe that’s a factor.  Their web site says they are one of the first craft coffee shops in Denver and talks about how knowledgeable their baristas are about their single-origin coffees, etc, so I was ready for some good coffee.  I was thinking I would go for an iced coffee, but when I walked up their windows had espresso things advertised on it and their menu just seemed steered toward espresso.  Like, espresso drinks were at the top anyway.  And they had an espresso drink size guide.  It is also entirely probably that I am just easily steered toward espresso drinks.

I asked about their cappuccinos as part of my quest to decipher what places mean when they say cappuccino and if there are patterns of consistency.  Here, they are the same size as the lattes, but more foamy.  This is also not what I what I thought the definition of a cappuccino was.  I think it may have been very corrupted.

It was sort of a warm day and I had been feeling iced coffee, as I mentioned.  Cold Brew was not on their menu.  I checked after I ordered and they do have it, but since I am testing things out I like to go off of what I see and wasn’t going to order something they weren’t even advertising...  Well, not even advertising, just listing.  (Okay, later I noticed that they had “toddy” under their iced drinks, which is probably their cold brew.  I guess I will have to start making the connection that this is probably cold brew.)  I asked if the barista thought the iced lattes were as good as hot.  He said there’s the viewpoint that coffee is made hot so it should be consumed hot, but he still thought they were pretty good iced.  And it’s that time of year.

Anyway, the baristas were reasonably friendly, but didn’t seem to have strong opinions or desire to convey info on drinks.  They probably would have answered if I asked specific questions, but it wasn’t like the places that have a vision or specialty or story that is obvious.

Iced Latte

I ultimately opted for an iced latte and I wasn’t very impressed.  It was pretty sour in a weird way.  And when I got it there was a lot of milk settled at the bottom and it wasn’t stirred very well.  I didn’t pick out many distinctive flavors.  It just wasn’t very good.  They also gave it to me in the plastic cup by default.

The shop itself is pretty cool.  There are quite a bit of small tables to sit at and a couch/comfy chair area.  The coolest thing – there were LOTS of plants covering the whole area along the large front windows.  Most of the plants were really big.  And it was kind of a quirky place, which I always appreciate.  Kind of loud colors and décor, and art outside (in the picture).  It wasn’t quirky in a way I particularly liked, but I still appreciate quirky places.  The plants part I thought was awesome.  They were all real and jungly and awesome. 

You can see lots of jungly plants in the window. 

Maybe it is a good place to buy really good coffee beans and stuff, but other than the plants I didn't really like anything.

THEY DO NOT HAVE WIFI.  What??  Okay, that’s it.  They just don’t have it.

There is a parking area in the back and some street parking options in the vicinity as a backup.  I parked in the lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment