Thursday, June 23, 2016

29 - Europa Coffeehouse, Denver


Lots of potential...but I ended up not loving it.

Coffee Shop:
Europa Coffeehouse (Cafe Europa? ...as listed on google maps)
https://www.facebook.com/europacoffeehouse/ (This is all I saw as far as web sites go.  I think they also have an instagram, maybe some other pages.)
76 S Pennsylvania St
Denver, CO 80209

Date Visited:
Thursday, June 23, 2016
About 2:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Purchased:
Small (8 oz) Almond Milk Latte: $3.50
No charge for almond milk!

Europa Coffeehouse was almost really nice so I would rave about all the nice things, but it wasn't quite there.  First though - it's nice.  They have outdoor seating with a large overhanging tree, which makes it pretty and shady.  There is also a large amount of seating in the sun.  And there is also ample seating inside!  So there are plenty of options.  Inside there are booths, some little tables, a long table, a bar by the window, and some soft chairs (they didn't look that comfortable to me, but I didn't try).

They also have plants!  Mostly succulents.  There are large windows that take up the front of the store and they have a variety of plants in front of the windows - a few large ones on the floor, some planter boxes in front of the bar-height seating, and some littler pots.  I love this touch.  There was also some interesting art, some unique hanging sculptures, and quirky stuff like exposed brick.


Despite all of this though...I just didn't find it that comfy.  I mean, it was adequately comfortable, but perhaps my expectations were raised by all of the potential added awesomeness.  I guess it was a variety of things - the seating wasn't that comfortable.  The chairs were all awkward aluminum-or-something one that I think I have seen before.  They feel too lightweight and uncomfortable.  There were also some other cheap-chair options.  Kind of an amalgamation.  Some of the tables were an almost-interesting polished wood, but there wasn't a them happening.  The booths looked almost good, but I saw some holes with stuffing coming out and the cushions looked a little old and lumpy (but I did not sit there, so they could be amazingly comfortable for all I know).

And worst...my table was sticky. :(  I didn't think it was too bad and it was in a nice location (I don't know, just one of those places that felt comfortable and not too exposed, okay relation to other people...coffee shop dynamics).  So I sat there.  And then I tried to wipe it with a couple napkins and it didn't help.  And like...my computer and cup and things were sticky when I moved them.  Not to complain and do nothing about it, I moved...and I had to go was my forearms before I felt reasonably not gross, because they had rested on the sticky table while I typed a little before I moved.  And I still felt sticky. :(  And then a bit later I saw someone quickly wipe a table or two...and they didn't do the sticky table.  Maybe it is hidden.  Maybe that's why I sensed I would be safe there.

Anyway, so it was little things like that - nothing individually huge, but there were some crumbs on tables, the sticky table, the old, mismatched stuff, multiple chairs and benches were off balance so they would rock back and forth, and it felt kind of dusty and not clean.  And the cool art was kind of weirdly placed.  Things were haphazard instead of awesome.  The bathrooms, while not "gross" were not really "clean".  My water cup smelled weird...I don't know.  In general it seemed like the place lacked care, but with care it could be cool.

Some of the music was nice and chill, but it seemed a little too loud and changed a little too often.

My latte was really good.  And they didn't charge for almond milk! So that injected a dose of positivity into my impression.  The latte had a distinctive layer of good foam, and a nice, strong espresso taste.  It was creamy and not sweet, in a good way.  In general, this place seems to know what they are doing, but not quite on the amazing craft coffee side of the spectrum.  I thought my latte was among the better that I have had, but not at the level of "amazing and special."


The latte art wasn't amazing.  She did ask if it was for here or to go, and gave me a "for here" mug.

The barista was friendly.  I asked about the cappuccino as well.  Here they come in the same sizes as lattes, but are foamy.  The latte that I had was basically how I like cappuccinos, just a little weaker on the espresso side (since it was 8oz instead of 6oz).  I was a bit indecisive because I was thinking espresso, but then I saw that they have matcha/green tea lattes.  The barista said they were new.  So I almost got one of those!  But went with the latte.

Overall, this place was worth seeing and I'm glad I had a good latte, but I wouldn't rush back.

No wi-fi issues.

There is free parking on the street and there is also a lot across the street from the coffee shop.  They share it with other businesses and I think one side was exclusively for a different place.  But there is a sign that says parking for Cafe Europa.  I was a little nervous parking too far away from the sign because there was another sign for a different business down the line...if there is supposed to be a distinction, it wasn't clearly marked.  But in general parking didn't seem to be too much of an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment