Monday, June 6, 2016

24 - Steep Coffee & Tea, Denver


Cozy, bright place and good tea!

Coffee Shop:
Steep Coffee & Tea
http://cafesteep.com
4100 East 8th Avenue
Denver, CO 80220

Date Visited:
Sunday, June 5, 2016
About 2:00 p.m. -  5:00 p.m.

Purchased:
Medium (16 oz) Coconut Milk Green Tea Latte: $4.45
(.60 cent charge for coconut milk)

I love it because they are a tea shop!  I know I am mostly on a quest to become a coffee snob, but I really like being a tea snob.  They also have a full coffee menu, but I took advantage of being able to get tea.

I'm really into the matcha concept since I discovered it and that's what the green tea latte is made from, so I ordered that!  I realized in retrospect that they probably use the same amount of matcha for the small and medium (if it's like espresso) - BUT THEN I ASKED AND THEY DON'T.  I did get more matcha in my medium than I would have in a small.  They do use the same amount of espresso for both sizes, but not for the matcha.  I was pleased.  And the baristas were in agreement that this is how things should be (more matcha in a medium).  Although the medium and large have more similar amounts.

When I first ordered I asked about alternative milks and which might be good.  They have almond, organic almond, soy, and coconut.  The barista said that he recommended something other than almond because it doesn't steam up as well (AS I HAVE SUSPECTED, although this may be related to this specific drink, I wouldn't know for sure).   I got coconut.

Note - their alternative milks have different prices based on the type.  I appreciate the internal consistency.


It was really delicious!  I was glad I got the larger size so I had more to enjoy and could sit with it for a while without feeling the pressure that it was running out (don't you hate that feeling? when you you have an amazing food or beverage and it is running out faster than you want...).  I thought the matcha was awesome and the coconut milk worked really well!

They also have some decent food options.  I would be interested to try the matcha bowl.  They also have acai bowls, which are probably awesome.

I really liked the shop as well.  Good seating options - tables, a bar, and comfy chairs - nice windows with lots of light, and it was comfy.  Plenty of outlets.  Chill music.  It was a nice place to be.

I liked this place a lot!  I have to mention that in comparison to the other tea place I have been to...Platform T *cough*...this was significantly better.  Prices were more reasonable, they have more character, I liked the drinks and shop better, and interacting with the baristas was a nicer and more informative experience.

They DON'T do teapots, which I think is sad, but it's fine as a stylistic choice.  They just focus on other stuff, like all the cool signature beverages they have and stuff.  They DO re-steeps if you order looseleaf tea.  So it's kind of the same thing (really, just a stylistic choice, and I see how teapots just aren't important to the vibe they are going for).  If you order looseleaf tea you can get more hot water and use the leaves again.  If it's only the amount of tea leaves appropriate to a cup I am guessing the end result would be less tea after all the re-steeps than if it was a pot, but that difference probably wouldn't practically affect many people at all.  Their prices are also reasonable and appropriate so ordering a cup with re-steeps is probably a better deal than ordering a pot would be.

Anyway, awesome place.  I raved a bit.  I don't know if it's at the level of distinctive enough to warrant a special trip...although for good tea it probably crosses that line.  But it has a lot going for it.

There is a parking lot on the back with a decent selection of spaces.  Street parking as a backup.

No wi-fi issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment