Friday, June 24, 2016

30 - Fluid Coffee, Denver (Uptown)


Eclectic, nice, and chill.

Coffee Shop:
Fluid Coffee Bar
http://www.fluidcoffeebar.com/
501 E 19th ave
Denver, CO 80203

Date Visited:
Friday, June 24, 2016
About 5:30 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.

Purchased:
8 oz Almond Milk Cappuccino: $3.50
.50 cent charge for almond milk

The cappuccinos on their menu are the same sizes as their lattes.  I asked and they are more foamy (as expected).  However, the smallest size on the menu was 12 oz and he said they also have an 8 oz.  Even though in this case I usually go for a latte, this time I got the cappuccino and went with the 8 oz.  (A .50 cent charge is really annoying when you get the smallest amount possible of the liquid in question.)  I am glad because the foam layer was my favorite part.  It was soft and snowy.

See?  It's soft and snowy.

Okay, that's mainly a cosmetic description, but it probably aided the taste as well.  It still think it tasted soft and snowy.  So my initial impression was good, but then when I started drinking mainly liquid under the foam I didn't think it was very good.  It was bland and a little sour in a weird way.  The foam was heartier and sweeter.  I quite liked it.  I tried to be better about mixing foam with liquid while I drank, which made the experience more enjoyable.  But the initial potential was not lived up to.

The atmosphere was pretty cool.  And literally (that was not intentional) - they had nicely functional air conditioning and it was also not on too high (which happens way too often...I don't get it).  It was hot outside, but I was comfortable inside without having to put my sweatshirt on (which I was only carrying around for that annoying eventuality).  There were three seating areas, which is perhaps intentional, as their door said, "meet | work | relax" and I could see how each space may theme into one of those categories.

I didn't like the area just inside the door as much.  It's really basic, just some small two-person tables organized around the floor and few seats by along table in front of a window.  I mean, totally functional.  I'm not going to knock it a lot.  It just seemed to me like seating in one of those places where people normally get stuff to go, but they have a couple of token tables just in case that no one ever really uses.  And if you sit there it's weird and not comfortable.  Maybe this is because the area is by the door and in between the barista area and the napkin/sugar/trash/etc station...so it maybe it just seemed in the middle of things.  It was a reasonably sized area though, as big as some (small) shops entire seating selection.  I am pretty sure it would have had a different mood to it if the shop had been busier.  There were only a few people there while I was, and the front area was completely empty.  With a bunch of people sitting and talking I'm sure it's nicer.

I sat in the middle area, which was super-super cool.  I don't know if they actually use it, but I sat next to a fireplace (it looked like it might be a functioning electric/gas one) with bookshelves on both sides!  In a comfy chair!  The end table where I set my coffee was the perfect height.  There was a comfy carpet.  There was also a couch and some other little tables in this area.


I was really comfortable and relaxed.  It was a really nice place to hang out.

I really liked the art hanging on the walls as well.  It was being sold, so no idea how consistent it is, but it aided the comfy/relaxed/classy atmosphere.

They also have what looked like a serious work space in the back.  I just looked in briefly while I was choosing my seat, but it contained a number of tables with single office-style chairs.  A good touch for people who want that kind of thing.  I think that this is the "meeting space" mentioned on their site that they rent by the hour.  I don't know if people can work there if it's not being used.

Overall, my drink was decent and I thought it was a really nice place to hang out, and I love the variety of atmospheres.  The music was maybe a bit loud, but not enough to be a major complaint.

They have really good wi-fi.

They don't have a parking lot, but I didn't have trouble with street parking.  I parked about a block away.  It was free and un-timed.

No comments:

Post a Comment