Monday, May 2, 2016

Drip Coffee at Drip Denver

Coffee Shop:
Drip Denver
933 Lincoln St
Denver, CO 80203

Date Visited:
Sunday, May 1, 2016
About 2:00-5:00

Purchased:
12 oz brewed coffee: $2

In the interest of getting the actual beverages that coffee shops are named for, I had to get a drip coffee at Drip Denver.

First, let me explain how bad I have been at this.

I got a chai latte at Drip Denver.  I got a latte at Black, Black Coffee.  I got cold brew coffee at Crema (named after espresso).

What is my deal?

In fairness, Drip Denver makes their own chai, so it's still a specialty.

Also in fairness, these places keep telling me about how they are special in ways that their name does not indicate.

Anyway, I was back at Drip Denver and wanted to be a purist this time.  I asked what coffees they had available and this ended up being confusing...and I hate when the barista doesn't take over because I am not a good enough coffee snob to be good at asking the right questions.  But I found out that for brewed coffee they had a decaf and regular (so this was not much of a decision because...not decaf).  I believe the regular was Danger Monkey, with jives with what I just checked on their web site.  So I ordered their brewed coffee.  I am pretty sure this was drip brewed, additionally because their web site says that they drip brew Danger Monkey.  If they didn't even tell me about their drip coffee when I asked then it's not a necessary of enough specialty anyway!  It wasn't fresh pour-over for sure, they had it made for the day.

Classic.


So I got drip coffee from Drip Denver!  I thought it was pretty good.  I added almond milk and sugar at the beginning so I didn't try it black.  But I was feeling a bit especially hazy that day and I found this coffee very nice and easy to drink to help the situation.  It was pretty cold outside and this coffee was one of those which was very nice and warm to drink on a cold day.  It was a cozy-warm beverage.  This is not true of every coffee - I would say really strong or bitter or floral-y ones are not. A cozy-warm beverage on a cold day calls for a calm arc of flavors instead of an adventure.

It is also a nice cozy coffee shop to be warm in on a cold day.  Except that it was rather cold while I was there, unfortunately.  I put my hat on while I was sitting after I had finished the warm coffee and was drinking ice water (which I'm sure was a contributing factor to needing the hat).  As we were exchanging pleasantries before I left, the manager mentioned that it got a bit cold after the majority of people left, and good thing warm weather is around the corner.

I think that drip coffee at Drip Denver lived up to being a namesake.  I enjoyed the experience.  It seems like an appropriately classic drink to get when one wants coffee.  Also, I was there toward the end of the day and the coffee didn't taste old or overheated anything.

When I was deciding between sizes they were going to give me a paper cup, but I asked for an in-house cup and they obliged.  This greatly increased the coziness of the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment