Sunday, May 1, 2016

13 - BookBar, Denver


Unique, awesome place!

Coffee Shop:
BookBar
http://www.bookbardenver.com
4280 Tennyson St
Denver, CO 80212

Date Visited:
Saturday, April 30, 2016
About 11:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Purchased:
*15 oz Almond Milk Latte: $4.00
**"Love in the Time of Hummus" (hummus and pita): $5.00

*No charge for the almond milk! Way to be!

**A presentation started and two of us were talking.  They asked us to whisper during the presentation and gave me 50% off the hummus plate (so I paid $2.50).  I thought this was a really cool way to balance everything.  I mean, we should be respectful of people trying to listen, but we also didn't know that the store was about to be taken over by a presentation, so we hadn't had a choice and had already ordered.  Since there wasn't a notice or anything, I think this was the best way they could have handled the situation.

The BookBar.  It's a bookstore.  And a bar!  It's SUCH a cool place to hang out.  When I got there I ordered an almond milk latte.

BookBar Almond Milk Latte

It wasn't the greatest latte.  And obviously no latte art.  But it's okay!  Because this place is such a cool place to hang out.  It was also the kind of almond milk latte I don't really like.  I didn't think it was gross, but it was that kind that I am in into, and I'm still not sure what the difference is between places that make them how I like it and places that don't.  I have to remember that I don't normally like them, since I have had so many that I thought were good lately.

They have comfy chairs and couches, as well as tables throughout the store, and bar seating right by the bar.  There is a fake fireplace in a little seating area in the back.  Windows are nice in the front.  And we were even served at our seats!  They came over and asked if we needed anything, took dishes we were finished with, etc.  I ordered something and they brought it out!

I was there for a long time.  I had seen that they have a food menu so I was planning on staying a while since they could also provide me with sustenance.  But the portions were REALLY small.  It was more like a very light snack than "food".  It seemed like the food was cute and classy, plus it has literary names, as do the alcoholic drinks.  But it just wasn't enough.

Hummus Plate - cute, but too small!

So it's probably fun to get some drinks and maybe a couple food items with people for the sake of having food...but as an actual means to become less hungry.  However, I suppose it did tide me over.

IT IS ALSO A BOOKSTORE.

I just need to emphasize that again.  Such a cool place.

It happened to be Independent Bookstore Day!  Which I found out when I walked in.  They were having a raffle every hour for a free book (I did not win, despite the many hours) and had some deals on books.  And it was fun because it was a celebration.

I love that they were actively encouraging people to hang out as long as possible with the raffle.  I also love how they assumed that every purchase was opening a tab.  It's definitely a place where they expect and want you to stay and hang out.

Anyway.  Super cool place.

I absolutely loved that I could get up from working and wander around books, check things out, then sit back down AND ORDER FOOD OR DRINK FROM MY SEAT IF I WANTED.

This is just such a cool combination of awesome things.

They don't have a parking lot, but there is free, unlimited street parking around the block.  It was a bit tight when I was there, but it seems like it would be generally doable.

The wi-fi was pretty slow at times.

Also - they had a recycling!  I want to start making sure I give praise where praise is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment