Monday, May 27, 2019

48 - Whittier Cafe, Denver (Whittier)


Coffee Shop:
Whittier Cafe
https://www.facebook.com/whittiercafe/
1710 E 25th Ave
Denver, Colorado 80205

Date Visited:
Saturday, May 25, 2019
About 10:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.

Purchased:
Small Latte (12oz): $4.54
*almond milk was $0.74
That's approaching ridiculous, especially if it was for a smaller cappuccino or something.

This is a pretty cool place because it has character and significantly more purpose than you would expect from a run-of-the-mill coffee shop.  My latte wasn't very special, but the community vibe from this place was exceptional. It's nice when a coffee shop is a good place to hang out or a good gathering space, but Whittier Cafe takes it to the next level.

It says, "This is my happy place!"

First, the latte. It was decent, but not that great. It wasn't bad, but was a little bitter and un-smooth. Both the flavor and texture were just a little off. I could see it aligning more with other people's preferences, but it's still not amazing.

But look at the mug it came in. That's what I'm talking about. Such a nice vibe.

I didn't think it was super cozy or extra comfy, but they had above-average outdoor seating options and it's a nice place to hang out. I was there on a nice day, but most of the outdoor seating was taken and I sat inside, which was mostly my preference anyway. There was a covered area tucked back from the street, and the street was quiet anyway. It had a good layout with some nice touches. Inside was functional and low-key, but I did note their awesome chairs, which all had holes that were latte mug outlines. Nice.

However, the main way this place stands out is that it exudes a community-coffee-shop feel and seems like a place that some people would love to frequent and hang out at. It is unabashedly politically active, with some campaign signs out front for local candidates and issues, and it seemed like a headquarters for activism and activist groups. The overall message I got was that they were really involved with the community and really cared about local people and issues, which is pretty special.

In addition to specific issues they might be targeting at any one time, the vibe was just open and inviting. I felt like they would not get hung up on anything small that would make the coffee experience less good for anyone, and that they would also pay attention to the little things that would ensure all people felt welcome. (With the exception of the almond milk surcharge. I own my personal hangups, okay?)

They also had some simple food options (wraps or burritos), though I did not end up trying one. This isn't an amazing craft coffee destination, but it is a community hangout done absolutely right.

Street parking was easy, with no time limit. I parked across the street, but there plenty of close options.

No wi-fi issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment