Friday, July 1, 2016

32 - Denver Bicycle Cafe





















Bikes. Beer. Coffee.


Coffee Shop:
Denver Bicycle Cafe
http://denverbicyclecafe.com/
1308 E. 17th ave
Denver, CO 80218

Date Visited:
Friday, July 1, 2016
About 2:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.

Purchased:
almond milk cappuccino: $3.50*

*I originally tried to order a coconut milk cappuccino (which I have not yet been able to try!).  It was a DOLLAR extra for coconut milk.  I reacted, like, "Even for a cappuccino??" Because if I am going to succumb to paying that, I won't do it without reacting.  The baristas seemed to agree with me, but it's the policy.  They do take away the charge for a macchiatto, since it's just a dollop of milk.  Coconut milk can be a bit more expensive, so I get a dollar charge for, like, a 24 oz latte (maybe).  But for a few ounces? It really is ridiculous.  Standard surcharges are nothing but ridiculous.  It doesn't even make sense, it's not to prevent profit loss...it just ends up taking advantage of the fact that people will pay it.  But, as a rule, I WON'T.  A small, sensical charge is okay, but flat rates are annoying and maybe even INSULTING.  This is often why I get lattes instead of cappuccinos, because if I am going to pay that much extra ANYWAY. Ugh.  Anyway, they were actually out of coconut milk.  So I didn't get to try a coconut cappuccino.  BUT I LOVE THE SOUND OF THAT.  They decided to give me almond milk with no charge, this time.  That was nice of them.  But the store policy is still ridiculous.  I don't know how much almond milk charge is, if it's different.

--This is far from the only place that does this annoying surcharge thing, I am just pointing it out ALL THE TIME.

So then I tried my cappuccino.



I think it was pretty.  Also, the barista asked me if I wanted the special (Sweet Bloom, I think) espresso, or the house espresso.  I said house was fine.  Although since I have become an espresso snob, perhaps I should have upgraded. But I am still not sure how to make decisions about how to upgrade.  I ended up thinking that the espresso was a little too strong...but I think it is because I didn't like the espresso as much.  I will have to identify the factors that I like in espresso so I can become even more selective.

There was extra sour taste in the drink, and I'm pretty sure it was from the espresso.  That was most of what I didn't like as much.  The foam was okay, but not spectacular.  It was a little thinner, as opposed to creamy.  The foam didn't pair as well with the liquid (like when taking a drink, it didn't enhance the experience to mix them) as some other.  Other than those detractors, it was quite good.  So even though there were detractions, it held it's own.  I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I liked it.

Okay.  This shop.

I unashamedly selected this place for its gimmick.  But it's NOT just a gimmick because it seems to pull everything off well.

It is a full-fledged bicycle shop and a full-fledged coffee shop and a full-fledged bar.

There are actually three adjacent areas that make up the business.  The subsets also have varying hours (the bar is open later, the coffee shop is open earlier), although there is a lot of overlap.  Still, it is clearly one business.  And there were totally bikes in my coffee shop.

There is a bike shop in the middle, where they do bike things (repair, tune-ups, parts, etc.), and on either side there is a coffee shop and a bar, where they do coffee shop and bar things!  There is also overlap in that people ordered beer in the "coffee shop", so the areas are not restrictive.  There is also a decent food selection.

So, anyway, I have been to a bicycle cafe.


It was a decent place to hang out.  Unique atmosphere.  But mostly like a normal coffee shop.  I am enthusiastic about having experienced the bicycle cafe, but I don't feel the urge to rush back and make it a habit or anything.  I can also see how people would regulars,though, if convenient.  It's fun.  Nice windows.  Seating options.  Pretty social place.  There is some outdoor seating set a little back from the road, but still too noisy/busy for me.

No wi-fi issues.

They don't have a parking lot.  There is 2hr street parking around, but it is also annoying because of the semi-busy through-streets and one-ways all around.  My time there was limited by the parking time limit (this is annoying).  I didn't want to deal with moving my car and going back.  But I was also okay with leaving.  I got the experience and t wasn't somewhere I particularly wanted to spend a while.  I was parked within a block, and I would have been able to park close again on another street if I had wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment